Silverfish Identification & Prevention
Frequently Asked Questions About Silverfish
What are silverfish?
Silverfish are small insects distinctive for their silvery-gray metallic bodies and fish-like movements. They have long antennae and teardrop-shaped bodies and typically gravitate to areas with high moisture. Silverfish are prolific creatures, and a silverfish infestation can easily take over your property if they are left to grow out of control. It's important to invest in silverfish pest control if you want to avoid the problems these pests bring.
Are silverfish dangerous?
While silverfish aren't the most dangerous pests you may host around your property, they are a major nuisance. These pests don't bite humans and are not known to carry diseases, but they can damage your property. Silverfish love starchy items as a food source and are likely to chew holes through your stored food items, books, clothing, papers, and fabrics. They may also leave behind yellowish staining in the areas they infest. The larger an infestation grows, the more likely widespread silverfish damage will occur around your property.
Why do I have a silverfish problem?
A silverfish problem is most likely due to your property having excess moisture and humid conditions. Silverfish love both of these things and will slip into your structure any way they can to be in areas with lots of moisture and easy access to food. If you don't treat the factors attracting silverfish to your property, you will likely deal with prolonged problems and repeated infestations.
Where will I find silverfish?
You'll commonly find silverfish hiding in dark, damp, and humid areas. Spaces like basements, garages, crawl spaces, kitchens, bathrooms, and laundry rooms all provide prime sheltering spaces for silverfish.
How do I get rid of silverfish?
If you want to get rid of silverfish for good, your best option is to contact D&K Pest Control. Our team will help you identify the root cause of your silverfish issue and provide effective pest control so that you can reclaim all areas of your property from these insects. When you trust in us, you benefit from expert silverfish removal and friendly customer service you can count on.
Call us now to get started.
How can I prevent silverfish in the future?
Prevent silverfish problems from occurring in the future by following our expert tips below:
- Seal potential silverfish entry points around your property by caulking up cracks around windows and doors, installing window and door screens, and investing in weatherstripping.
- To reduce silverfish-attracting conditions, utilize dehumidifiers in any area with poor ventilation, such as the basement, bathroom, and kitchen.
- Fix moisture issues and leaks both inside and outside your property, as excess moisture is one of the main attractants of a silverfish infestation.
- Clear any outdoor spaces of piles of debris, long grass, and standing water that act as silverfish harborage areas.
- Use airtight storage containers in food pantries when possible to keep silverfish out and remove available food sources.
- Because silverfish eat clothes, consider using plastic storage boxes in attics and basements to prevent silverfish from munching on your clothes, as well as books, papers, fabrics, and other stored items.
- Clean, declutter and dust your home often, taking extra care to remove any food and drink spills that might attract silverfish or other pests.
Contacting D&K Pest Control is the best way to get rid of silverfish, so get in touch with us today if you need pest control in Aurora or assistance removing infestations of these pests from your property.
Schedule Your Inspection
Complete the form below to schedule your no obligation inspection