Squirrels Hanging Around Your Yard Can Be Really Problematic
February 14, 2023
Can you spot shallow holes in your garden? Do you occasionally find your vegetables and fruits half-eaten? Have your recently planted bulbs been dug up? Chances are that squirrels may have caused the damage. For the most part, extensive damage is done in fall, when the rodents prepare for the winter season. Additionally, they are active in spring because of ripening fruit and new growth since seeds are in limited supply. If you are wondering what kind of pest control in Aurora can help prevent these rodents from rummaging through your yard, this post will supply you with the valuable information you need.
Characteristics of Common Tree Squirrels
There are three categories of tree squirrels, large tree squirrels (fox squirrels and eastern gray squirrels), small tree squirrels (red squirrels), and flying squirrels (southern and northern flying squirrels). Eastern gray squirrels are typically gray, but there are other color variations, like black. Fox squirrels are generally orange-brown with different color ranges, like black and silver-gray. Red squirrels are often red-brown with white underparts. The red squirrel has small ear tufts and a black stripe that separates the light belly from the dark upper color.
Flying squirrels are 8 to 12 inches long and have broad skin tissues connecting the hind and fore legs at the wrist. They also have flat tails and large black eyes. Eastern gray squirrels are typically 16 to 20 inches long, weighing 1 1/4 to 1 3/4 pounds, and red squirrels are smaller at 10 to 15 inches long, weighing 1/3 to 2/3 of a pound.
Five Simple Yet Effective Squirrel Prevention Tips
Although most of us like watching squirrels, they can be a menace in your garden because they can cause so much damage. If you need practical solutions to keep them out of your yard, here are some squirrel control methods you should try:
- Fence the yard: Install a one-inch mesh wire fence at least 30 inches high, extend it six inches in the ground, and add an extra six inches bent 90 degrees to limit burrowing.
- Seal entry points: Look for gaps, cracks, and rotten wood that a squirrel can chew through to gain access. Also, inspect for holes in the attic where light can pass. Once you identify the entry points, seal them up for squirrel control.
- Reduce the availability of squirrel food sources: Remove pet bowls, birdbaths, or bird feeders to lower the activity of squirrels in your garden.
- Clear yard debris and trim tree branches: Remove any piles of trash from your property. Also, if other trees are six or eight feet from your house, trim the overhanging branches to ensure that squirrels cannot access your roof.
- Manage ivy and climbing plants: Hanging plants are handy ladders for squirrels. Trim them up to restrict squirrels from getting close to the roofline.
Taking these steps to ensure that you regularly conduct checks around your property for things that can influence an infestation of your yard will help limit any chances of a squirrel crisis from happening.
The Best Way to Keep Squirrels and Other Wildlife Away
The best defense for controlling squirrels and other wildlife is ensuring that you have a clean yard. Clear out any clutter or debris and trim overgrown branches and shrubs. When you lower the exposure of items that animals can equate with food or water, you can keep wildlife away. Other squirrel pest control measures include storing trash cans inside your garage and scheduling regular pest control for squirrels and other wildlife services.
There are many methods of controlling squirrels in your area, some are simple preventive measures, and others require experts to manage severe squirrel problems. Once you have a clean property and well-taken care of landscaping, you reduce the chances of attracting squirrels and other animals. But you'll get the best results if you work with the experienced professionals at D&K Pest Control. We offer residential and commercial pest management services for various environmental invaders. Our comprehensive approach to pest control will ensure that we quickly handle the pest problem. Call us today, and let's discuss your pest issue.
I cannot say enough good things about David he went above and behind to help me with my rodent problem. I would recommend him to everyone I promise you will not regret using this company. 10 out of 10 recommend.